Dance The Arctic Circle 12243
Reel · 64 bars · 4 couples · Square (Progression: OnceOnly)
- Devised by
- John Drewry (2004)
- 8888 8080 8888 0808 8888 4444 4444 8888 = 75% (1 turn), 75% (whole dance)
- Pas-de-Basque, Skip-Change, Slip-Step
- Published in
- Recommended Music
- Extra info
- Dance devised by John Drewry ...
Dance devised by John Drewry April 2004. Revised in June 2004 after teaching the dance in Morland in Cumbria.
NOTE by John Drewry: I had a letter from Susan Hagen, who lives in Oslo, requesting a dance with this title. The dance is to be performed at a ball in the British Ambassador's Residence in October. She sent me a booklet about the residence, which is called "Villa Frognæs". I have based Bars 41-56 of the dance on the design above the oriel window. I did go once north of the Arctic Circle in Norway with a Swiss friend. We flew separately to Oslo and then went by train to Narvik. From there we went by cargo boat northwards until, after calling in various ports, we rounded the North Cape and reached Honningsvåg where we stayed for a few days.
We were amused to see people from the various tourist ships taken to see a Lappish village with the Lapps living in tents made of reindeer skin. Once the buses had taken the tourists back to their ships, the Lapps returned to their comfortable houses in the town.
NOTE by James Gray about the music: “The Oslo Scottish Country Dance Group asked John Drewry to write a dance called The Arctic Circle which had its premiere in Villa Frognæs, the residence of the British ambassador in Oslo. The tune has specially constructed phrasing to fit the dance.”
|The Arctic Circle||W James A Gray||Piano Dance||CD||9||R64 1||1:26||43.0||Villa Frognaes|
The Arctic Circle 4S · R64
- Circle8 and back
- 1c+3c: with person opposite dance ½ Fig8 through nearest side couple, turn RH ½, and twirl R to own place facing out
- All turn cnr EH and face P ; All set to P and turn P BH with skip-change, to places
- 2c+4c: repeat [9-24]
- All W ½ RHA | dance Lsh round opposite M | ½ RHA to places
- All M ½ LHA | dance Rsh round opposite W | ½ LHA into
- In promhold, M on the L, all dance cclw round the set to places.
The Arctic Circle 4S · R64
- All circle 8H round & back
- 1M+3L also 1L+3M dance 1/2 Fig of 8 round 2s/4s, 1/2 turn & twirl back to place, finishing facing out
- 1M & 3M turn corner RH while partners turn corner LH, all set to partner & turn 2H (skip change of step)
- 2s & 4s repeat bars 9-24
- All Ladies dance RH across 1/2 way, dance round opp Man LSh & dance RH across 1/2 way back to place
- All Men dance LH across 1/2 way, dance round opp Lady RSh & dance LH across 1/2 way back to place
- All promenade round anticlockwise
|Budapest-Birl-2 - 24.11.2013||2013-11-24||Zoltán Gräff||Nov. 5, 2013, 9:21 a.m.|
|Mohonk 2017||2016-10-01||Elizabeth Buonomo||Sept. 28, 2016, 8:30 p.m.|
|Gullhella Demonstration||2017-06-10||James Gray||June 4, 2017, 12:56 p.m.|
|Berlin Hopalots 2013 Ball, 30 November 2013||2013-11-30||Anselm Lingnau||Aug. 16, 2013, 9:47 a.m.|
|Oslo 2016 Workshop & Ball -- Saturday Ball||2016-10-08||Kjell Mathiesen||June 1, 2016, 8:56 p.m.|
|Curia Weekend, Gala Ball||2016-12-03||Keith Rose||April 11, 2016, 1:05 a.m.|
|150216 The More Unusual Dance Club||2015-02-16||Peter Dixon||Jan. 25, 2015, 6:02 p.m.|
|Oldenburg 2017-02-17 Ski'n Do Friday||2017-02-17||Martin McWilliam||Feb. 7, 2017, 1:25 p.m.|
|2017 Sping School Social Dancing||2017-05-08||Anton Korobeynikov||April 16, 2017, 10:41 p.m.|
|Ski 'n' do 2016 Friday||2016-02-19||James Gray||Feb. 8, 2016, 11:13 p.m.|