Dance On the Wings of a Skorie 17400
Reel · 32 bars · 2 couples · Longwise - 4 (Progression: 21)
- Devised by
- Bruce Herbold (2014)
- Pas-de-Basque, Skip-Change
- Published in
- Excited States 
- Recommended Music
- Extra info
- This dance is dedicated to ...
This dance is dedicated to the late fiddler Michael Ferrie who wrote the tune and who died far too young. The notes to the album where this tune appears explain:
“Michael Ferrie wrote this tune after watching the family’s new kitten playing in the garden. The kitten bravely decided to tackle a large skorie (Herring Gull) and jumped on its back. The skorie, not much impressed, took flight with the kitten aboard. Luckily for the kitten it managed to escape, but not until the bird had flown several hundred yards down the field.”
The chase in bars 17-24 of the dance is my effort to represent the kitten’s adventure. Thanks to my friend James MacQueen for bringing the tune to my attention.
|On the Wings of a Skorie||StringFire!||Excited States||CD||1||R32 8||4:43||35.4||On the Wings of a Skorie/Jenny Dang the Weaver/Jennie Hardie's Reel/Lochiel's awa' to France|
On the Wings of a Skorie 2/4L · R32
- 1C 2C RH Across ; 1M 2M set, 1M cast and 2M dance up AS 1L 2L set x2.
- 1C Chain - to begin 1C cross RH + 2C loop (path of Ladies Chain).
- 1M followed by 1L dance down , 1L followed by 1M dance up [4} , 1M dance down and curl into 2pl as 1L dances down into top place.
- 1L 2L set, 1L dance down and 2L cast up AS 2M 1M set x2 ; 2C 1C LH Across.
|New York Branch Experienced 2019-06-20||2019-06-20||Marc Hartstein||June 20, 2019, 11:30 p.m.|
|Class 9-12-17||2017-09-12||Sarah Harriman||Sept. 13, 2017, 2:25 a.m.|
|Westchester - February 8, 2017||2017-02-08||Peter Price||Feb. 2, 2017, 9:22 p.m.|