Dance The Haunt Of The Gnomes 2813
Strathspey · 64 bars · 4 couples · Square
- Devised by
- John Drewry (1977)
- Strathspey travel
- Note: This list may be incomplete and/or incorrect.
- Published in
- The Canadian Book of Scottish Country Dances 
- Scottish Country Dances in Diagrams. Ed. 9  (diagram only)
- Scottish Country Dances in Diagrams. Ed. 8  (diagram only)
- Scottish Country Dances in Diagrams. Ed. 7  (diagram only)
- Scottish Country Dances in Diagrams. Ed. 6  (diagram only)
- Recommended Music
- Extra info
- John Drewry wrote in the ...
John Drewry wrote in the original description that the dance was for Robert MacKay of Edinburgh who introduced John Drewry to J. Scott Skinner's tune The Haunt of the Gnomes at St. Andrews in July 1977.
The dance may be repeated with the side couples leading :- The first reels of three will be up and down the dance (Bars 17-24). The second reels of three will be across the dance (Bars 25-32). The straight lines (Bar 25 onwards) will be across the dance.
The dance provides a good test of memory and of orientation when done twice without stopping!
|The Haunt of the Gnomes||Robert Whitehead & the Danelaw Band||Come Scottish Country Dancing with Robert Whitehead||LP||10||S64||2:05||0||The Haunt of the Gnomes/Les Trois Grande Luthiers|
|The Haunt of the Gnomes||Robert Whitehead & the Danelaw Band||Highlander Music Scottish Dances Vol 13||CD||10||S64||2:05||0||The Haunt of the Gnomes/Les Trois Grande Luthiers|
The Haunt Of The Gnomes 4S · S64
- All Men circle 4H round, face partners, turn RH & set
- 1s+3s dance thru next couple (M to right & L to left) to opposite pstns, 1s+3s in prom hold dance round each other (Men passing LSh)
- 1s dance reel of 3 across with 4M+2L (giving LSh to 4M) while 3s dance reel of 3 with 2M+4L (giving LSh to 2M) ending in longways set
- 2s & 4s in prom hold dance reels of 3 on sides (2s gives LSh to 3M & 4s LSh to 1M)
- 2L+4M dance 1/2 double Fig of 8 with 1s as 2M+4L dance similarly with 3s, all turn on sides by nearer hands (1s+3s to dancing outwards)
- All repeat (Bars 33-40) from new places
- 1s+2L+4M also 3s+2M+4L dance RH across, then dance 1/2 reels of 4 on sides
- All repeat (Bars 49-56) from new places
- Repeat with 2s & 4s leading
|180118A||2018-01-18||Michael Däther||Jan. 14, 2018, 9:31 p.m.|
|White Rose 2017 Demonstration dances||2017-07-08||John Aitken||May 19, 2017, 10:11 a.m.|
|Tadley 2017-10-31 Halloween Dance||2017-10-31||David McQuillan||Sept. 29, 2017, 1:41 p.m.|
|wscds 2018.10.24||2018-10-24||Keira Hartstein||Oct. 21, 2018, 10:31 p.m.|
|Tadley Scottish Country Dancers - Halloween Dance 2017||2017-10-31||V Gardner||Oct. 5, 2017, 11:26 a.m.|
|180215A||2018-02-15||Michael Däther||Feb. 11, 2018, 4:50 p.m.|
|15 10 31 Brighton Branch||2015-10-31||Chris Pratt||Oct. 4, 2015, 1:34 p.m.|
|Matlock 2015 - workshops||Truus de Ceuster||Oct. 13, 2016, 12:51 a.m.|
|Halloween Social||2017-10-30||Jamie Berg Gray||Oct. 29, 2017, 9:51 p.m.|