Dance Flower of Forfar 17027
Jig · 32 bars · 4 couples · Square
- Devised by
- Hands across - 4 (HX;4P;)
- Hands across - 4 - half (HX;4P;HALF;)
- Note: This list may be incomplete and/or incorrect.
- Published in
- Recommended Music
- Extra Info
- The dance has a 4-bar intro, 1st 2 bars of the tune plus 2 bars on one note.
The original …
The dance has a 4-bar intro, 1st 2 bars of the tune plus 2 bars on one note.
The original description is for a 32 bar dance in a square set. The “Angus SCD Book” page with this description has “4x40 4C Square set” in the title. The sheet music and Minicrib also specify 32 bars. We think the “40” is probably a typo, so SCDDB has entered this as a 32 bar dance…
This dance represents a flower of which the centre is represented by central stars, and the petals by exchanges of dancers between the inner and outer rings. Bowing to the centre represents the closing of the flower in the evening and opening in the morning. The Men moving round one place defines the circumference of the flower.
Flower of Forfar 4S · J32
4 Bar intro - Bow to partners, bow to centre
- Ladies dance RH across 3/4 way, Men dance RH across while Ladies dance round facing positions
- Ladies dance RH across 3/4 way while Men dance round facing pstns, Men dance RH across 3/4 way while Ladies dance round facing pstns
- Repeat bars 5-8 twice more & Men end in centre facing partners
- Ladies dance RH across 1/2 way while Men dance round facing positions, Men dance RH across 1/2 way while Ladies dance round facing positions & repeat 3 more times & Men end in centre facing partners
- Ladies change places RH with partners & dance LH across 3/4 way while Men dance clockwise 1 place round set
- Ladies dance out to place beside partner & all bow to centre
Repeat from new places