Dance Kalan i Manul 17789
Also known as “The Sea Otter and the Pallas Cat” (translation), “Калан и Манул” (spelling).
Reel · 32 bars · 3 couples · Longwise - 4 (Progression: 213)
- Devised by
- Edmund McIntosh
- Pas-de-Basque, Slip-Step, Tulloch turn
- Online Sources
- Recommended Music
|On the Boardwalk||StringFire!||Excited States||CD||10||R32 8||4:45||35.6||Beachcomber Reel/The Engine Room/The Left Handed Fiddler/Stolen Time|
|Mercia||Muriel A Johnstone||Dancing Fingers 5. The Merse Collection||CD||1||R32 8||0:00||0.0||John Anthony Ireland/Nigel's Fine Tune/Anna Mairi Lumsden/Peter Francis Lumsden|
Kalan i Manul 3/4L · R32
- 1s set | 1M (cat) casts to 2nd pl and dances across, 1L (otter) following (2s step up on b4-5), 1s turn LH ending on opp sides, M facing up, L down.
- Mammals’ Chain: 1M with 2s dance ladies' chain but all opposite role while 1L with 3s dance normal ladies' chain. This figure is like a ladies' chain up and down the dance. At the top, 1M+2M turn RH about ¾ while 2L dances across, while at the bottom the ladies turn RH while 3M dances across | All meet someone [of the opposite sex, not your partner] coming towards you: half turn them LH (2L+1M, 2M+3L, 1L+3M) | Then the same people as before change right hand or dance across | End with everyone turning partner left hand.
- 1M up, 1L down, half fig 8 to (2, 1, 3); All half RSh reel of 3 on own side. 1s naturally end facing in, 3L & 2M naturally end facing out, 3M & 2L finish their loop to face in. (3, 1, 2)
- 1s RH birl while 3s+2s chase CW half way and RH birl. All end with a LF skip-change out to sidelines (2, 1, 3) on bar 32