Dance The Duke of Wellington 1796
Reel · 32 bars · 3 couples · Longwise - 4 (Progression: 213)
- Devised by
- John Drewry (1991)
- 880/880/888/844 = 56% (whole dance)
- Pas-de-Basque, Skip-Change
- Published in
- Recommended Music
- Extra info
NOTES by Drewry
I have ...
NOTES by Drewry
I have suggested the modified Petronella for two reasons. The first is that it enables the 1st couple to be well apart when setting and the second is that it is less tiring. (In strathspeys e.g. "The Lea Rig" the Petronella movement is danced with travelling steps) N.B. I am not suggesting that Petronella itself should be danced with skip-changeof-step. Those, who because of ingrained habit, find it difficult to do the movement in this way, may use pas de basque throughout provided that they use long steps for travelling.
In "pass and turn" (a 4-bar figure), 1st couple dance round the corner position by the right; while the corners dance in (passing 1st man or woman by the right) on bar 1; they turn each other with the right hand on bar 2; they dance out towards own places (again passing 1st man or woman by the right) on bar 3; and curve into place on bar 4.
Wellington was named after the Iron Duke, who chose his title from Wellington in Somerset (not Wellington in Shropshire).
|The Duke of Wellington||Acoustic Tuna||12th Night Ball 2001||CD||5||R32 8||4:53||36.6||Waterloo Hornpipe/The College Hornpipe/Manchester Hornpipe|
|The Duke of Wellington||Acoustic Tuna||12th Night Ball 2001||CD||6||R32 4||2:27||36.8|
The Duke of Wellington 3/4L · R32
- 1s Petronella to opposite sides while 2s step up slightly, cross RH, cast to right into middle & change places RH (up/down)
- 1s Petronella back to 2nd place own sides while 2s cast to right, cross RH, cast to right into middle & turn RH into 1st place
- 1s dance RSh reels of 3 on sides & end facing 4th corner as 2s & 3s loop round to places
- 1s dance Pass+Turn with 4th corners & pass RSh to face 1st corners, dance Pass+Turn with 1st corners to end in 2nd places
|Brooklyn John Drewry Night 2013||R C||Nov. 5, 2013, 3:19 p.m.|
|Ericht with Frank Thomson||2016-09-23||Kate Kinnear||Sept. 22, 2016, 1:52 p.m.|
|Crieff Annual Dance with Frank Thomson||2017-04-29||Kate Kinnear||Feb. 1, 2017, 10:43 p.m.|
|Coupar Angus with Colin Dewar||2016-04-23||Kate Kinnear||April 17, 2016, 6:24 p.m.|