Dance The Foula Reel 2302
Jig · 48 bars · 4 couples · Longwise - 4 (Progression: 2341)
- Devised by
- 8000/8220/8002/8888/8888/8888 = 48% (1 turn), 66% (whole dance)
- Published in
- Book 4 
- Scottish Country Dances Books 1 to 6 (Combined A5 edition) 
- Pocket: Books 4,5,6 
- Collins Pocket Reference: Scottish Country Dancing 
- A Guide to Scottish Country Dancing (ex-Collins) 
- Scottish Country Dances in Diagrams. Ed. 8  (diagram only)
- Scottish Country Dances in Diagrams. Ed. 7  (diagram only)
- Scottish Country Dances in Diagrams. Ed. 6  (diagram only)
- Recommended Music
- Extra info
- This dance comes from Shetland ...
This dance comes from Shetland.
The combined edition of RSCDS Books 1-6 notes that »The number of bars in this dance is flexible. It has also been published as a 40 bar [sic] dance«.
|The Foula Reel||Neil Barron and his Scottish Dance Band||Book 4. Music for Twelve Scottish Country Dances||LP+||4||J40 4||2:41||32.2||The Foula Reel/Donaghadee/Cavehill|
|The Foula Reel||Neil Barron and his Scottish Dance Band||Book 4. Music for Twelve Scottish Country Dances||CD||7||J40 4||2:41||32.2||The Foula Reel/Donaghadee/Cavehill|
|The Foula Reel||Jim Lindsay and his Band||Book 52 – Music for 12 Scottish Country Dances plus 5 Bonus Tracks||CD||17||J48 4||3:00||30.0||The Foula Reel/Magnie o' da Daeks/The Roaring Barmaid/Auntie's Jig|
The Foula Reel 4/4L · J48
Running step used throughout, 2 steps per bar
- 1c lead down the middle and up
- 1c turn RH | 1M+2W & 1W+2M turn LH ; 1c turn RH | 1M+3W & 1W+3M turn LH
- Repeat 4 bars with 4c ; 1c cast to top behind own line
- 2c+3c+4c kneel down and clap while 1c (NHJ) dance down one on each side of W line, and up one on each side of M line
- All C joining BH with partners, 1c dance out to M side and back to centre, weaving down one place each time between 2c+3c+4c till 4pl, while 2c+3c+4c dance out to W side and back, weaving up, (choose phrasing freely) (2,3,4,1).
this dance can be adapted to be danced in 40 bars.
The Foula Reel 4/4L · J48
Running step, 2 steps per bar
- 1s lead down the middle & back
- 1s turn RH, 1M turns 2L LH as 1L turns 2M LH, turn partner, turn 3s, turn partner, turn 4s (as Strip the Willow) & cast up own side to top
- 2s+3s+4s kneel & clap as 1s with nearer hands joined dance down Ladies' side & up Men's side making arch over the kneeling dancers
- All join 2H with partner & 1s dance in & out to bottom as 2s+3s+4s in unison shuttle first to Ladies' side & back to Men's side moving up as 1s pass
|Budapest Local Club 28.03.2017||2017-03-28||Zsofia Jozsef||April 6, 2017, 5:45 p.m.|
|Newcastle & St Petersburg dancing||2020-02-08||Taisiia Demicheva||Feb. 1, 2020, 6:51 p.m.|
|Budapest Club Summer School 27.07.2018||2018-07-27||lldikó Szakolczai||July 29, 2018, 9:27 a.m.|
|RSCDS Beginners Framework 1A||Rachel Pusey||Aug. 11, 2019, 10:42 p.m.|
|RSCDS Book 4||Jane Rose||March 6, 2018, 7:19 p.m.|
|Budapest Dance House for beginners 2014.02.01||2014-02-01||Zoltán Gräff||Feb. 2, 2014, 7:54 p.m.|