Dance Because he was a Bonnie Lad 441
Also known as “Prince Charles' Reel”.
Medley · 112 bars (S64+R48) · 4 couples · Longwise - 4 (Progression: OnceOnly)
- Devised by
- Highland, Pas-de-Basque, Skip-Change, Strathspey setting, Strathspey travel
- Published in
- Online Sources
- Recommended Music
- Extra info
- This dance was taken from ...
This dance was taken from an old Jacobite dance of 1745 which was danced by followers of Prince Charles Stuart.
The dance was arranged from a dance collected by Mrs MacNab’s brother in North Carolina, USA.
|Because He Was A Bonnie Lad||The Muriel Johnstone Ensemble||Dances from the Collections of Mary Isdale MacNab Vol 1||CD||1||M112||3:07||53.4||Because he was a Bonnie Lad/Marchioness of Huntly/The 21st of October|
|Because He Was a Bonnie Lad||Ian Powrie and his Band||Ian Powrie Band Show||LP||14||M128||0:00||0.0||Marchioness of Huntly/Cape Wrath/Stornoway Castle/My Pretty Maid|
|Because He was a Bonnie Lad||The Muriel Johnstone Ensemble||Music for Scottish Dances Collected by Mary Isdal MacNab||CD||1||M112 1||3:12||54.9||Because he was a Bonnie Lad/Marchioness of Huntly/The 21st of October|
Because he was a Bonnie Lad 4/4L · M112
- All dance RSh reels of 4 on sides
- All set twice & turn partner 2H
- 1M & 2M cross to face 2L &1L (1M in front of 2M) also 3M & 4M cross to face 4L & 3L (3M in front of 4M), all set & Men dance round Ladies RSh back to places (again 1M & 3M in front of 2M & 4M)
- All set twice, turn 2H into 2 diagonal lines of 4 (1M & 2L also 3M & 4L in own places & partners BtoB between them
- All dance RSh diagonal reels of 4
- All set twice & turn 2H to end in original places
- 1s & 3s set advancing to partner & turn 2H (Ladies on partners left) to face 2L/4L, set & circle 3H round to left 1/2 way to face 2M/4M
- 1s+3s set twice to 2M+4M & circle 4H round for 2 steps, turn partner 2H to original places
- 1s+2s also 3s+4s dance 1/2 R&L with setting between each hand to person just passed
- All repeat bars 1- 8
- All Men set for 8 bars (Highland Steps) as partners set twice & advance turning with 4 PdB steps to right to give their backs to the Men
- All Men dance RSh round partner to face them, all set twice with Ladies again turning their backs on the Men
- All repeat bars 25-32
- All Men dance forward 3 PdB steps, pat partners on shoulder & dance back 1 step, Ladies turn to face partner, turn RH to end facing in middle
|Mary Isdal Macnab||2018-01-01||Dance ForFun||Jan. 13, 2017, 1:41 p.m.|