A 32-bar strathspey for four couples in a longwise set
In this dance, 3rd and 4th couples start on the opposite sides of the
- 1st and 4th couples set, then 1st couple cast off to second
place while 2nd couple step up and 4th couple cast up to third
place while 3rd couple step down.
- 1st couple dance a half figure of eight round 2nd couple while
4th couple dance a half figure of eight round 3rd couple.
- 1st and 4th couples set and link.
- 4th and 1st couples dance four hands round to the left only.
- 2nd and 4th couples, likewise 1st and 3rd couples, set and link
»in reverse«, i. e., in each pair the person on the left casts and the
person on the right dances through the middle.
- 4th and 2nd couples, likewise 3rd and 1st couples, dance four
hands round to the right only.
- 4th and 2nd couples, likewise 3rd and 1st couples, dance
- They set advancing passing partner by the left
shoulder to finish back-to-back in the centre facing
the opposite side.
- Pulling right shoulder back and passing partner by the
right, they cast back out to their places at the start
of the formation.
- Giving right hand, they turn partner half-way round.
- Right hands across half-way (4th with 2nd and 3rd
with 1st couples).
Finish in the order 2, 4, 1, 3.
Repeat the dance from new places.
For Matthias Lang, long-standing member of the FSCDC and among all
his other accomplishments a moderate Trekkie, who didn't receive a
proper dance from me when he should have. The Helix (in strathspey time) is
taken from Hana by Alex Gray.
Note: At the start of this dance, a Vulcan salute may be substituted
for the customary bow and curtsey.