Dance The Black Bear 533
Reel · 32 bars · 3 couples · Longwise - 4 (Progression: 213)
- Devised by
- David Cullison
- 840/848/808/848 = 53% (whole dance)
- Pas-de-Basque, Skip-Change
- Published in
- Atlanta Fare 
- Recommended Music
- Extra info
- David Cullison came to Atlanta ...
David Cullison came to Atlanta from Memphis in 1987. He soon won the heart and hand of fellow dancer Nancy Cline, and they were married in a never-to-be-forgotten ceremony under a tree in Cades Cove, Tennessee, on the Saturday of the 1988 Gatlinburg Games. Afterwards, the new Cullisons were piped back across the meadow to the tune 'The Black Bear," chosen in graceful acknowledgement of those year-round denizens of the Smoky Mountains, and, says David, "Because I like it".
David is the Atlanta Branch's newest teacher. He attended candidate classes at Thistle School, and passed his preliminary examination in April, 1991. In addition to being a good Scottish country dancer, he has also done some Highland dancing, and enjoys English Country Dancing. He borrowed the central sequence of figures in this dance - ½ ladies' chain, reel of four, ½ ladies chain - from a Contra Dance. David cautions 2nd couple to stay awake during bars 13-28 as their participation in bars 29-32 is crucial.
The Black Bear 3/4L · R32
- 1c set | change places RH and 1c face 2c ; 1c+2c set and change places LH (2,1x,3)
- ½Reels3 on the sides, 1c Rsh to 3c (3,1x,2) ; 3c +1c ½ La-Chain
- 3c+1c Lsh Reel4 across, the W start by passing Rsh in the middle
- 3c+1c ½ La-Chain (3,1x,2) ; ½Reels3 on the sides, 1c start by crossing Rsh to 4cnr pos. (2,1,3)
|Berkhamsted Strathspey & Reel Club Spring Dance||2016-05-21||Jeremy Dent||April 7, 2016, 10:13 a.m.|
|LEEDS SCOTTISH COUNTRY DANCE CLUB (PRESIDENTS DANCE) 30 January 2016||2016-01-30||Irene Dracup||Nov. 9, 2015, 5:39 p.m.|